" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Tuesday we took Shaun, our Shih Tzu cross, to Prince Albert 
for a haircut. Every trip to PA includes a stop at Value Village 
for T-shirts, hoodies etc. to wear around the cabin.
 While at the cabin my SF collecting mostly stops
so I was delighted to see some great SF books for 1 to 2 
dollars. Some I already have but most of these have different 
covers and some can stay  at the cabin.
 I see SF cover art as time capsules to the societal and 
artistic trends and/or concerns of the period and if 
the price is right I will buy a second copy.



cover by Barclay Shaw

I decided to read or reread some of the SF authors of 
 my teenage years I am starting with Frank Herbert but
 I will follow with Niven who produced 
some of the great SF of his generation.


cover by Walter Velez (1966) 1981

Very different, more modern and futuristic than the other
covers I have seen for The Dream Master.


cover by McMacken (1965) Avon 1979
I thought my favourite would always be the 
Powers cover for "Bill" but we now have a tie.


Next A couple of okay Paul Lehr.



1971



1960

Then couple of okay Richard Powers.



1961


1966

Not sure, The Alien Way, Lou Feck.


(1965) 1977

The gem, I had never even seen photos of this cover for 
The Caves of Steel  by Ralph Brillhart. I think Pebble in the Sky
is my favourite Asimov but "Caves" is certainly the runner up.  
This copy will not be staying at the cabin.



(1954) Pyramid 1962

Monday we went south to photograph the shorebirds
on the sloughs before they migrate. We stopped in Hafford,
 for lunch, a small town pop. 360 where one old store now
 hosts a community garage sale. We got a great and cheap oil 
painting of grain elevators, hey this is the prairie folks, an Old
Virginia Smoking Tobacco can, an ex libris copy of 
The Phantom Tollbooth and an Ace Double for 50 cents with 
two wonderfully frantic covers by Emesh. Book publication 1962
 but the short stories were first published in 1954. Ace F-165.
Also saw some great birds and had a nice lunch.




No comments:

Post a Comment