" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Saturday, February 24, 2018

New Arrivals including Vance, Ellison, Hoyle and other

A trip to Fair's Fair Books Thursday surpassed my wildest expectations. The first book I found was one I have wanted ever since I knew it existed but never expected to find. The 1950 Hillman Periodicals edition of The Dying Earth by Jack Vance in very good condition. Shown with the appropriate page from John Clute's Science Fiction: The Illustrated Encyclopedia. Cover uncredited.


I also found a rather odd collection of collaborations by Harlan Ellison and everyone he could apparently talk into participating including one of my favourites Van Vogt. Should be interesting. Cover by the Dillions.






I am always a sucker for Hoyle (although his The Incandescent Ones  has to be the silliest SF book I have ever actually finished, think space skier, not surfer) but I loved this 1961 Richard Powers cover.



Here we have a transportation themed group, a space ark, (Thomas Hubschman) cover by Romas Kukalis. A zombie ship, cover by Paul Lehr and Edmund Cooper offers us a star ship carrying a small crew desperate to escape a dying Earth, cover by Jim Burns. 



My buddy Doug and I were discussing Lee Correy this week and I was interested in reading Space Doctor for a projected post on medical themed SF. 

Lee Correy was actually G. Harry Stine, wikipedia notes .

"Stine and his wife Barbara were friends of author Robert A. Heinlein, who sponsored their wedding, as Harry's parents were dead and Barbara's mother too ill to travel. Several of Heinlein's books are dedicated one or both of them, most particularly Have Space Suit - Will Travel.[1] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Harry_Stine
Cover by Rick Sternbach.



I have been looking for this title by Geston ever since I read Ralph E. Vaughan's post on Lords of the Starship. Cover by H. R. Van Dongen.




Here we have a very, dare I say mod, cover by Karel Thole. For more on Thole I recommend a search of https://sciencefictionruminations.com/ by Joachim Boaz.




And something a bit more old school. A Pair from Space the cover is uncredited. The Best from Fantasy and Science Fiction the cover is from the always entertaining Ed Emshwiller. And did I mention I found the Hillman Periodicals edition of The Dying Earth?



No comments:

Post a Comment